Obtaining a Library card is quick and easy. Cards are free and most are issued immediately. You may register for a card at the Ives Main Library or at any of our four branches. New Haven residents may also pre-register for a card online. Cards are valid for three years and may be used in any public library in Connecticut.
For more details, select from the options below:
City of New Haven Residents
- You will be asked to show a photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and documentation of your current New Haven address.
Teens and Children
- If you are under 18 years of age, you and your guardian must sign the application.
College & University Students
- If you are a college or graduate student residing in New Haven, you can obtain a NHFPL card. On-campus students must present a student ID or a letter of enrollment issued by your school with the expected year of graduation and/or completion of program clearly marked on it.
- Off-campus students living in New Haven must show a photo ID and documentation of your current New Haven address.
- If you are attending a college or university in New Haven but actually live in another Connecticut town, you must first obtain a library card from your hometown. We need your hometown library card and a photo ID to register you for full access to the NHFPL.
Out of Town
Connecticut residents from other towns must present a valid hometown library card that shows the expiration date and a photo ID to be added to NHFPL’s system and be eligible to borrow.
• Go to our downloads page to check out ebooks and audiobooks!
• All print items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 30 items.
• All dvds may be borrowed for one week with one renewal (unless there is a hold on the item) up to a maximum of five items.
• All other audio visual items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 10 items.
• Overdue fines are $0.20 per day per item with the exception of dvds, which are $1 per day per item
• Materials may be returned to any NHFPL branch
• Avoid fines by using our book drops when our libraries are closed.
Manager of Circulation Services