Obtaining a Library card is quick and easy!.
Due to COVID-19 We are now making and renewing library cards by phone. Please call to register for a card:
IVES MAIN LIBRARY: 203-946-8135
FAIR HAVEN: 203-946-8115
MITCHELL BRANCH: 203-946-8117
STETSON BRANCH: 203-946-8119
WILSON BRANCH: 203-946-2228
Cards are valid for three years and may be used in any public library in Connecticut.
If you have a library card… you now have a library account.
You can use your library account on the library website by:
1) Click on ‘my account’ and then
2) Click on ‘have a card? click here’
3) Enter your full name and the complete card number (14 digits)
from your library card. That’s the number beginning with 250000…
You will now be able to:
1. view what you have checked out
2. renew items
3. place holds
4. create lists
5. view your reading history
Library Card Renewals:
Card renewals require the return of overdue materials and payment for any replacement costs for lost materials and.
Please call us at the Circulation Dept: 203.946.8135
We will be happy to assist you.
For more details, select from the options below:
City of New Haven Residents
- Photo ID with address (such as a driver’s license) issued within the past year OR
- Photo ID AND documentation of your current New Haven address, such as a current bill, etc.
TEENS AND CHILDREN
- If you are under 18 years of age, you and your guardian must sign the application.
COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
- If you are a college or graduate student residing in New Haven, you can obtain a NHFPL card. On-campus students must present a student ID or a letter of enrollment issued by your school with the expected year of graduation and/or completion of program clearly marked on it.
- Off-campus students living in New Haven must show a photo ID and documentation of your current New Haven address.
- If you are attending a college or university in New Haven but actually live in another Connecticut town, you must first obtain a library card from your hometown. We need your hometown library card and a photo ID to register you for full access to the NHFPL.
Out of Town
Connecticut residents from other towns must present a valid hometown library card that shows the expiration date and a photo ID to be added to NHFPL’s system and be eligible to borrow.
• Go to our downloads page to check out ebooks and audiobooks available to New Haven residents!
• All print items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 30 items.
• All dvds may be borrowed for one week with one renewal (unless there is a hold on the item) up to a maximum of five items.
• All other audio visual items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 10 items.
• When you request an item from another branch, we can hold up to 3 items for up to 3 days, except for DVD’s which will be held to the end of the day then returned to the shelf.
Manager of Circulation Services