Obtaining a library card is quick and easy!
Due to COVID-19 We are now making and renewing library cards by phone. Please call to register for a card:
IVES MAIN LIBRARY: 203-946-8135
FAIR HAVEN: 203-946-8115
MITCHELL BRANCH: 203-946-8117
STETSON BRANCH: 203-946-8119
WILSON BRANCH: 203-946-2228
Cards are valid for three years and may be used in any public library in Connecticut.
If you have a library card, you now have a library account.
You can use your library account on the library website by:
1) Click on ‘My Account’ at the top right of the homepage
2) Enter your full name and the complete card number (14 digits with no spaces) from your library card. That’s the number beginning with 250000… that you can find on the back of your card.
You will now be able to:
1. view what you have checked out
2. renew items
3. place holds
4. create lists
5. view your reading history
Library Card Renewals:
Card renewals require the return of overdue materials and payment for any replacement costs for lost materials.
Please call us at the Circulation Dept at (203) 946- 8135 and we will be happy to assist you.
For more details on library card eligibility, please see the following options:
City of New Haven Residents
- Photo ID with address (such as a driver’s license) issued within the past year OR
- Photo ID AND documentation of your current New Haven address, such as a current bill, etc.
TEENS AND CHILDREN
- If you are under 18 years of age, you and your guardian must sign the application.
COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
- If you are a college or graduate student residing in New Haven, you can obtain a NHFPL card. On-campus students must present a student ID or a letter of enrollment issued by your school with the expected year of graduation and/or completion of program clearly marked on it.
- Off-campus students living in New Haven must show a photo ID and documentation of your current New Haven address.
- If you are attending a college or university in New Haven but actually live in another Connecticut town, you must first obtain a library card from your hometown. We need your hometown library card and a photo ID to register you for full access to the NHFPL.
Out of Town
Connecticut residents from other towns must present a valid hometown library card that shows the expiration date and a photo ID to be added to NHFPL’s system and be eligible to borrow.
- Go to our E-Resources Page to check out ebooks, audiobooks, and more available to New Haven residents!
- All print items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals of one week (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 30 items.
- All DVDs may be borrowed for one week with one renewal of one week (unless there is a hold on the item) up to a maximum of ten items.
- All other audio visual items may be borrowed for three weeks with three renewals of one week (unless there is a hold on an item) up to a maximum of 10 items.
- When you request an item from another branch, we can hold up to 3 items for up to 3 days, except for DVDs which will be held to the end of the day then returned to the shelf.
If you have questions, feel free to reach out any time.
Manager of Circulation Services